One Hundred Years
FORE – One Hundred Years of Leura Golf Club
The Club has been to the fore of golf in the Blue Mountains since it opened officially on 29th November 1902 with 9 holes on the Fitzroy Street site. It was one of the early non-city courses. The club began as a private, member-owned course. This was a difficult undertaking with no water supply and the effects of the long Federation drought.
The first clubhouse was a bark shelter, replaced by a Federation-style building in 1908.Land was acquired before the First World War for an additional 9 holes, which gradually were developed during the 1920s to provide an integrated 18 hole course.
This course was redesigned before WWII and the work was finally completed with a new lower 9 holes opened in 1970.
For various reasons the Club incurred great financial difficulties which led to virtual insolvency by the end of the 1970s. This led, after much tribulation, to an arrangement with developers which saw The Fairmont built, a new clubhouse, a realignment of the lower nine and the old clubhouse site set aside for retirement housing (now Leura Fairways).
This occurred despite much controversy about such a project within both the Club and the community. During the period of construction the bottom 9 was closed and other clubs provided opportunities for members of the Club to play in competitions.
In late 1987 realignment was completed and the course re-rated. The new (present) clubhouse was opened officially in June 1988. The Club has continued with the facilities which came from The Fairmont deal.
The Club is blessed with a very picturesque setting and a challenging, though short, course. Of late, the Club has struggled (as have many clubs) as golf club membership has declined over the past decade. Yet it has, in terms of Australian golf, a long, interesting and significant history. It has been served by committed directors and good professionals and it has remained as it began, a private, members owned club which readily makes its facilities available to visitors.